Even if they don't carry a drop of Irish blood, more than 50% of Americans celebrate St. Patrick’s Day each year. Beer spiked with a few drops of green food coloring has long been a staple for patriotic parties on the 17th of March. However, not everyone loves sipping beer all night long. So, take things up a notch with St. Patrick’s Day-inspired cocktails.
Whether they are green, gaudy, or use Irish ingredients, there are many ways to get the St. Paddy’s Day festivities going!
Irish Coffees and Irish Car Bombs have become as synonymous with The Big Green Day celebrations as shamrock-colored beer. However, to catch more attention, up your game with some unique Irish-inspired cocktail offerings
If your bar has a signature cocktail, create an Irish-themed spin-off. You can add something like an Irish Maid or Dublin Mule to your St. Patrick’s Day offerings or try this cocktail dubbed the Isle and Anchor.
• 1.5 oz good quality single malt Irish whiskey
• 2 oz organic apple juice
• 0.75 oz lemon juice
• 0.5 oz cinnamon-infused simple syrup
• 0.25 oz apricot liqueur
• 4 dashes bitters
1. Add all the ingredients to a cocktail shaker with pebble ice.
2. Give the shaker a brief whip shake.
3. Strain the mixture into a tumbler filled with ice.
4. Garnish with a cinnamon quill and a few slices of green apple.
Make sure you have an equally exciting shamrock-inspired beverage for designated Dave’s and those exercising mindful drinking. This kale cocktail should do the trick!
• 1 oz kale juice
• 0.75 oz ginger beer
• 0.5 oz cloudy apple juice
• 0.5 oz cucumber juice
• 0.5 oz fresh lime juice
• 0.25 oz ginger- or mint-infused simple syrup
1. Pour some ice and all the ingredients into your cocktail shaker.
2. Shake for 8 seconds.
3. Strain the mixture twice and serve over fresh ice.
4. Garnish with a lime cheek or slice of fresh ginger and a sprig of lime.
Get the most out of the St. Patrick’s Day enthusiasm by running promos through out March. Your patrons will get into the shamrock-ing spirit with a pre-holiday tasting of Irish whiskeys or beers. You could also run a bartender green cocktail competition. Promote these in the build-up to St. Paddy’s Day and let your patrons vote for their favorite!
You don’t have to wait for the sun to set before celebrating St. Paddy’s Day. If your establishment is open through the day, why not host a St. Patrick’s Day brunch?Serve a full Irish breakfast that patrons can wash down with a pint of Guinness or Irish-themed cocktails.
Here are more fun ideas to get you and your customers in festive Irish mode.
• Schedule an Irish-themed quiz night.
• Host a Limerick-reading evening.
• If you have the space, showcase Celtic dance performers.
• Invite an Irish band to play festive live music on the night.
• A prize or two for the best-dressed customers never goes amiss.
• Create a photo booth with pots of gold, supersized shamrocks, leprechaun hats, and other fun St. Patrick’s Day props.
• Hide ‘pots of gold’ around your establishment for patrons to find. The ‘gold’ can give them discounts on their bill or be vouchers for future visits to your bar or restaurant.
We love innovative ideas here at Next Century Spirits. So, please let us know how we can be a partner to your successful business as a supplier and vendor. And don't forget to share your venue's St. Patrick's Day plans on Instagram.